Monday, March 9, 2009

A Wild Hair


Don't you love the names of small town hair salons? Do they really think they are being creative? I think you have to get a license to cut hair or have a salon, part of that application should be a forbidding of improper spelling of words to form your salon. It's not cute. When Napolean Dynamite said he got his hair cut at the "Cuttin' Corral", those of us from small towns knew instantly that it was spelled Kuttin' Korral. My guess is the sign showed fence posts or logs arranged to form the letters for Kuttin' Korral.

Every town of at least 3000 - 4000 people has a salon called either the Hair Affair, the Wild Hair, or some phonetic K sounding girls name followed by Kurl's (Kathy's Kurls), of course there will always be the tricky spelling of the name as well.

However, I will have to give props to one salon that I saw in the tiny town of Merit, Texas. It's salon name? The Curl up and Dye. I like it.

If I ever started a salon, I'd call it Manelining Hairoin. It would bring in a whole new clientele that typically doesn't get their hair cut.

Or how about If I Cut You, You Will Dye for the goth crowd. I'll bet Edward Scissorhands is jealous I thought of that name first.




2 comments:

Dustin said...

There is a new salon here in Portland called "Hair M," here is the bio:

Welcome to a new era in men's grooming. No longer do men have to feel out of place in a women's salon or short-serviced in a barber shop. Now there is a place just for you. A place where you can relax, enjoy a complimentary beverage (including beer and wine), read an interesting men's magazine, watch your favorite satellite show or just shoot the breeze. Best of all, you can begin indulging in services that will make you feel like a King. Services designed just for men. All performed in an environment that provides relaxation and comfort. Welcome to HairM.

Castiel Moyes said...

That "mens" salon sounds just like a womens salon....but for men?